What’s a good vacation without at least one brunch excursion?
Canmore, AB has a lively restaurant scene with many different delicious cafes, coffee shops, and more to choose from. No matter where you decide to go for brunch, you are certain to find a wonderfully tasty and memorable experience — all with the towering Rocky Mountains as your backdrop.
In this guide, we will introduce you to 4 of the best brunch spots in Canmore and what they have to offer. Plus, we have included a selection of coffee shops and bakeries that you simply have to pay a visit to!
Canmore’s Top 4 Brunch Restaurants
Brunch is a vacation staple, perfect for refueling after sleeping late. Finding a good brunch spot is always essential whenever you visit a new place, as visiting for your mid-morning to early afternoon meal can put a positive, sunny twist on any day.
Here are Canmore’s top 4 brunch restaurants to check out during your stay:
1. The Georgetown Pub
Part of the larger Georgetown Inn, the Georgetown Pub in Canmore is best known for its fish and chips — but don’t even begin to think that’s all this awesome pub is good for.
On The Georgetown Pub’s brunch menu, you can find a variety of breakfast plates, pancakes, French toast, and more. You can even build your own omelette!
Some of our favourites at The Georgetown Pub include:
- Breakfast Skillet Hash: You can’t go wrong with a big plate of hashbrowns for brunch. Packed with your choice of bacon, sausage, or ham, this hashbrown-based dish includes onions, tomato, peppers, cheese, and eggs cooked in your preferred style.
- “Goat Cheese in the Green” Omelette: This tasty and unique omelette includes a blend of goat cheese, bell peppers, grilled tomatoes, and onions. On the side, this dish is served with marble rye toast, a fruit skewer, and hashbrowns.
- Glorious Cinnamon Bun: This brunch meal is made for visitors with a sweet tooth. Starting with a stack of 3 fluffy cinnamon pancakes, this dish is topped with cream cheese, whipped cream, and syrup. Delicious!
If you have a gluten allergy, you can ask your server about the pub’s gluten-free options.
For a weekend special, The Georgetown Pub offers a Weekend Benny Menu packed full of all different types of eggs benedict — from the Classic eggs benny to more creative versions of the dish, like the Smoked Salmon benny or the Benny Poutine.
The Georgetown Pub serves its breakfast and brunch items until 11 a.m. on weekdays and until 12 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
Want even more fun at The Georgetown Pub? Then enter the inn’s hiking challenge, the Triple Crown of Canmore. To compete in this challenge, all you need to do is hike up the three mountains that make up the Triple Crown and take a photo at each summit.
2. Communitea Cafe
Want a healthy (but still scrumptious) brunch to start your day in Canmore? Then head on over to the Communitea Cafe. This health-conscious café offers both indoor and patio seating, as well as online ordering and take away.
Some of Communitea Cafe’s best brunch items include:
- Breakfast Bowls: One of Communitea Cafe’s signature items is the breakfast bowl, available as the Big Breakfast Bowl or the Vegan Breakfast Bowl. These bowls are packed with fresh and nutritious ingredients that will start your day on a positive note.
- Wraps & Sandwiches: For a heartier meal, try out one of Communitea Cafe’s breakfast wraps or sandwiches. Our favourites are the Huevo Burrito and the Gourmet Grilled Cheese Panini. All wraps and sandwiches can be substituted with a gluten-free wrap.
- Avocado Toast: Who doesn’t love avocado toast? Served on sourdough ciabatta, this delightful version of avocado toast is made with avocado, tomato, hummus, and hemp seeds. You can egg, bacon, or vegan coconut bacon to add boost the satiety factor of this brunch-time meal.
- Smoothies: If you’re looking for something light and fruity, Communitea Cafe makes some excellent smoothies crafted from whole fruits and hemp seeds. For your choice of milk, you can choose between dairy, oat, or almond milk. Plus, you can add vega protein for an upcharge too.
The breakfast menu at Communitea Cafe is served from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., while the main menu is available from 11 a.m. until close. Communitea is highly accommodating to dietary restrictions and offers options that are gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, and nut-free.
3. Craig’s Way Station
If a traditional Alberta brunch is what you are after, then make your way to Craig’s Way Station.
Craig’s Way Station is a staple in the Canmore community that has been serving famous breakfast dishes for nearly 40 years! With wide windows that look upon the Ha Ling Peak and Rundle Ridge, you can enjoy your brunch with a stunning mountain view.
On the Craig’s Way Station menu, you can find many delightful items, including breakfast grill dishes, omelettes, eggs benedict, pancakes, waffles, and French toast. This restaurant is the perfect stop for brunch, as it is open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Our must-haves at Craig’s Way Station include:
- Craigs Benedict: For a classic eggs benedict experience with a twist, you can’t go wrong with the Craigs Benedict. This dish is served with two basted eggs and shaved ham atop the traditional English muffin, complete with hollandaise sauce.
- The Supreme Omelette: For a filling brunch, try out the Supreme Omelette. This omelette has everything you could ever ask for, crafted from 3 eggs and loaded up with mushrooms, bacon, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, and melted cheddar choice. With this omelette, you also get the choice of a side!
- Rancher’s Breakfast: The most popular brunch item on the Craig’s Way Station menu is the Rancher’s Breakfast, comprised of five strips of bacon, three eggs, and your choice of a side. Side options include toast & hashbrowns, toast & tomato slices, toast & fruit cup, or three buttermilk pancakes.
4. Chez François
Chez François is your one-stop shop for a wonderful French-themed brunch. With both indoor and outdoor seating, along with stunning views of the mountains, you can cozy up for a great morning or early afternoon meal.
At Chez François, you can order both more traditional Canadian breakfast items, as well as French-style dishes such as crepes and croissants. This restaurant also offers a variety of combo dishes so you can get the best of both worlds.
Here are 3 of our top picks for brunch at Chez François:
- Bene Combo: You can’t pay a visit to Chez François for brunch without trying one of their delicious combos. Our favourite is the Bene Combo, which includes one egg benedict and one sweet crepe, along with homestyle potatoes and fresh fruit.
- Smoked Salmon Bagel: For a simple but still remarkable brunch option, order the Smoked Salmon Bagel. This tasty bagel is filled with capers, caramelized onions, cream cheese, and tomatoes. Plus, this bagel comes with a side of homestyle potatoes and fresh fruit.
- The Mountaineer: For a meal that will keep you full throughout the day, go for The Mountaineer. This awesome dish includes three eggs in your preferred style, three sausages, and your choice of toast. It is served with homestyle potatoes and fresh fruit on the side.
At Chez François, you can also order from a large menu of smoothies including flavours such as strawberry banana, peach mango, melon berry, mocha yogurt, cappuccino yogurt, matcha green tea, and apple pie smoothie.
The Best Coffee Shops in Canmore
After a long day of skiing, hiking, or shopping, you might need a little pick-me-up to stay energized. This is a great opportunity to stop by one of Canmore’s excellent coffee shops for a warm cup of joe or a refreshing iced coffee.
Take a look at these two fantastic coffee shop options in Canmore:
1. Eclipse Coffee Roasters
For an unforgettable coffee experience in Canmore, make sure to check out Eclipse Coffee Roasters.
Eclipse Coffee Roasters was established in 2014 as a specialty coffee roaster based in the mountains of Canmore and has since become a pillar in Canmore’s coffee community. From exceptional customer service to coffee that will delight and enthrall the taste buds, Eclipse has everything you could ever want out of a coffee shop.
This coffee shop divides its coffee roasts into three main categories:
- Bright: With a bright roast, you will get a coffee that has naturally fruity notes and a higher level of acidity. These roasts are generally lighter compared to the other categories, which makes them great to drink on their own without any milk add-ins. The preferred method of serving for this type of roast is either the filter or pour-over method, though it can also be used to make a light and fruity espresso.
- Balanced: A balanced coffee roast at Eclipse Coffee Roasters will have enhanced sweetness that comes in the form of chocolate and caramel-type notes. These coffees are the crowd-pleasers and tend to be Eclipse’s most popular brews, as they appeal to both coffee amateurs and connoisseurs alike. Plus, all brewing methods are acceptable for balanced coffee roasts and blends.
- Bold: For a strong and memorable flavour to your coffee, opt for the roasts in the bold category. These coffees are typically designed for use in espresso-based drinks, though they can be consumed as a standard cup of coffee as well. The notes in this category will be similar to dark chocolate and nuts.
One of Eclipse Coffee Roaster’s main values as a business is to focus on sustainability, so you can rest easy knowing the coffee you drink from Eclipse is ethically sourced and environmentally friendly.
This coffee shop is open every day from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., so be sure to stop by and check out their delicious selections of roasted beans and brews.
2. Beamer’s Coffee Bar
Having served the Canmore community for more than 25 years, Beamer’s Coffee Bar is the coffee shop to be at in this picturesque mountain town. Locals in Canmore rely on Beamer’s to get a delicious morning cup of coffee — and so can you.
This coffee shop has two different locations, so make sure to check out both and see what they have to offer! The first location is found in The Shops of Canmore on Old Canmore Road, while the second location is found on Main & 7th Ave.
Some of the best-selling coffees at Beamer’s include:
- Miner’s Blend: Beamer’s Miner’s Blend pays homage to Canmore’s historical origins as a mining community. This coffee is a dark roast and consists of earthy flavours and notes of dark chocolate. It has a heavy and syrupy body with a finish that offers a lingering sweetness.
- Beamer’s Blend: Beamer’s own blend is not just one of the shop’s best sellers — it was also voted the Best Coffee in the Valley. Beamer’s Blend is a medium roast coffee with a traditional aroma and sweet flavour. It has a tart acidity and medium body to provide a flavourful finish.
- Boucher Blend: The Boucher Blend takes the family name of one of Beamer’s very own founders, Darren. With this coffee, you can enjoy a dark roast that is complete with a spicy rich aroma and chocolate notes. Boucher Blend is full-bodied and finishes with a lasting sweetness, crafted from varietals such as heirloom Castillo and caturra bourbon.
- Old Goat Blend: The Old Goat Blend is another best-seller that pays homage to the miners of Canmore’s past. This dark roast is bold and rich, with a bittersweet flavour and syrupy body. A cup of Old Goat Blend is perfect for your brunch-time cup of coffee as you kick back and relax before you next day of adventuring.
You can enjoy a wide variety of different coffee products at Beamer’s, including house blends, espressos, organic coffees, farm direct coffees, estate coffees, and flavoured coffees.
The Best Canmore Bakeries
Need a sweet treat in the morning or after your next meal? Then come on by one of Canmore’s mouth-watering bakeries, where you can find endless treats, sweets, and everything in between.
Visiting these two bakeries is a must while staying in Canmore:
1. Rocky Mountian Bagel Co.
For bagels made fresh each and every day, you need to pay a visit to Rocky Mountain Bagel Co. This bakery and bagel shop has two different locations in Canmore, making it the perfect place to stop at for a quick brunch-time bite to eat.
The two Rocky Mountain Bagel Co. locations are found at 830 Main Street (open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and 1106 Bow Valley Trail (open 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.).
Every night at Rocky Mountain Bagel Co., the dedicated team of bakers makes more than 150 artisan bagels from scratch to provide guests with the freshest and most delicious bagels possible. Plus, this bakery offers a full bagel-themed breakfast menu that is served all day long!
Some of our favorite bagel sandwiches to chow down on at Rocky Mountain Bagel Co. include:
- The Works: The Works is everything you could ever ask for in a bagel sandwich. Served on a toasted bagel spread with creamy butter, this breakfast sandwich includes egg, cheddar, fresh tomato, red onion, green pepper, and your choice of Valbella ham, bacon, or sausage.
- Amigo: It’s hard to go wrong with the Amigo bagel sandwich. In this sandwich, you will find egg, cheddar, fresh tomato, green pepper, salsa, red onions, and plain cream cheese. Plus, you can add ham, bacon, or sausage for a small upcharge.
- The Original: Found in the Bagelwich section of the menu, the Original is a unique bagel sandwich that includes plain cream cheese, greens, fresh tomato, cucumber, swiss cheese, mustard, mayo, and your choice of Valbella ham or smoked turkey.
All of Rocky Mountain Bagel Co.’s bagel sandwiches come on your choice of bagel. The bagel varieties include everything, rosemary sea salt, cheddar, jalapeno cheddar, plain, sesame, cinnamon raisin, multigrain, maple, and plain gluten-free.
2. JK Bakery Cafe
If a full bakery experience is what you seek, take the journey to the JK Bakery Cafe. Here you can find a variety of fresh-baked goods including artisan breads, cakes, pastries, produce, savouries, and sweet pies.
While JK Bakery Cafe does not offer a full breakfast menu, you can order from a selection of both savoury and sweet items for a quick and delicious snack or a small meal. Additionally, JK Bakery Cafe is dedicated to crafting the best quality products with no preservatives (check out their baking process here).
For savoury menu items, JK Bakery Cafe offers:
- Breakfast Bun (with or without bacon)
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Spinach and Bacon Quiche
- Veggie Quiche
- Yogurt Parfaits
- Ham and Cheese Croissants
- Toasted Fresh Bread
As for sweets on the menu, JK Bakery Cafe offers:
- Cinnamon Buns
- Chocolate Croissants
- Assorted Danishes
Of course, you can also special order any of JK Bakery Cafe’s many baked goods to be made fresh for you. This bakery offers online and in-person ordering for your convenience.