In the ever-evolving world of short-term vacation rentals, providing the right amenities can make all the difference between a successful Airbnb listing and one that goes unnoticed.
Travelers’ needs and preferences are constantly changing, making it crucial for hosts to stay up-to-date with the latest trends to ensure their property stands out in the competitive Airbnb market.
In this guide, we’ll explore the top 16 amenities for Airbnb rentals in 2023 that are absolute musts when equipping your rental property for guests. Additionally, we cover a variety of extra amenities in the categories of basic, unique, and high-end to help you spruce up your rental.
Keep reading to discover the top amenities that drive the success of Airbnb businesses!
The Top 16 Amenities for Airbnb
Before diving into the more unique amenities that can help your property stand out, let’s first cover the most essential amenities guests are searching for in 2023.
Here are the top 16 amenities your Airbnb needs:
- Pets Allowed: Bring Fido! With more travelers seeking pet-friendly accommodations, allowing pets can significantly expand your potential guest pool. To prepare your property adequately for furry visitors, select flooring and furniture that is easy to clean and remove fur from. Additionally, set rules and expectations for guests with pets and list these rules clearly.
- Cooking & Kitchen Basics: Equipping your Airbnb with essential kitchenware and appliances allows guests to prepare meals, making their stay more convenient and cost-effective. At minimum, you should offer guests a sink, an oven (or an oven alternative, such as an air fryer), utensils, basic spices, and kitchen cleaning supplies.
- Coffee Maker: A morning cup of coffee is a must for many guests. Providing a coffee maker can enhance the overall experience of your guests. Take this amenity a step further by providing either ground coffee or coffee Keuring cups (if you have a Keurig available). Add a bowl of powdered creamer and sugar packets to complete your coffee corner.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector: Safety should be a top priority. A carbon monoxide detector can save lives and give peace of mind to your guests. Moreover, most regional regulations require short-term rentals to have working carbon monoxide detectors to operate legally.
- Smoke Detector: Like the carbon monoxide detector, a smoke detector is a fundamental safety feature that no Airbnb should be without. Not only will a smoke detector ensure your guests’ safety but it will also ensure you comply with local regulations.
- Television: Even with the rise of digital nomads, travelers still appreciate access to a television for entertainment during their downtime. Luckily, with the rise of streaming services, you can opt for a streaming television (such as a Roku TV) rather than a standard cable package. Just make sure to remind your guests to log out of their accounts when they leave!
- Instant Booking: Guests love the convenience of booking their stay instantly, which can boost your property’s visibility on the platform. To enable the Instant Book feature on Airbnb, visit the Airbnb webpage and select “Set up Instant Book.”
- Air Conditioning: Especially in warmer climates, air conditioning is a necessity. It ensures guest comfort and can make your property more competitive.
- Washer: Offering a washer in your unit allows guests to do laundry, which can be a game-changer for those on extended trips. This can increase your water bills, however, so make sure to build the cost of the washer into your nightly price and fees. Providing basic washer detergent pods and fabric softener can further impress guests.
- Dryer: Like the washer, a dryer makes the laundry process complete and is often expected by guests, especially if a washer is present. Provide your guests with clear instructions on how to use the dryer and clean out the lint trap. Additionally, consider providing dryer sheets for your guests to use to keep their clothes static-free.
- Free Parking: If your property has dedicated parking, advertise it. Free parking can be a significant selling point in urban areas. For hosts without access to free parking, taking on the cost of parking yourself can be an excellent way to attract more guests and provide a more seamless and efficient check-in experience.
- Dedicated Workspace: With more people working remotely, a dedicated workspace is an attractive amenity for professionals and digital nomads. This dedicated workspace can be as simple as a desk, desk chair, and lamp in a quiet corner of the property. Make sure you set the workspace up near electrical outlets for your guests’ laptop charging needs.
- Wireless Internet: A reliable WiFi connection is non-negotiable. Guests rely on it for work, entertainment, and communication. While some guests seek out a more rugged, unplugged experience, the standard Airbnb should come equipped with free WiFi.
- Self Check-In: Self check-in is convenient for both hosts and guests, allowing for flexibility in arrival times. To enable a self check-in, you will need either a keypad lock or a Smart Lock that your guests can connect to. A Ring camera can also be a worthwhile investment, as it allows you to monitor the check-in process and easily communicate with your guests should problems arise.
- Pack-n-Play Travel Crib: Providing a travel crib can be a make-or-break amenity for families traveling with infants or toddlers. There’s no greater tragedy than arriving at a vacation rental and realizing you do not have the right accommodations for a toddler. Adding a travel crib to your Airbnb ensures your guests are covered.
- EV Charger: As electric vehicles become more common, offering an electric vehicle (EV) charger can attract eco-conscious travelers. This can be a heftier investment but often a worthwhile one, especially if your Airbnb is in an urban area where EVs are more common.
What are the Most Popular Airbnb Amenities?
To determine the most popular amenities on Airbnb, we can look at the amenities that consistently receive positive feedback from guests. These tend to be the features and services that travelers value most.
In addition to those mentioned above, the following amenities often rank among the most popular:
- High-Speed Internet: In an increasingly connected world, guests appreciate fast and reliable internet for work, streaming, and staying in touch with loved ones.
- Hair Dryer: Small but essential, a hair dryer is a practical amenity that many travelers prefer not to pack. Providing a hair dryer can add to your guests’ comfort and convenience during their stay.
- Essential Toiletries: Providing basic toiletries like soap, shampoo, and toilet paper can save guests the hassle of shopping immediately upon arrival.
- Iron and Ironing Board: For guests traveling for business or special occasions, the ability to freshen up their clothing with an ironing board is essential.
- Luggage Storage: Offering a secure place for guests to store their luggage before check-in or after check-out can greatly enhance their experience and decrease clutter.
What are the Most Essential Amenities for Airbnb?
While the popularity of certain amenities can vary depending on your property’s location and target audience, some amenities are considered essential across the board.
These amenities include:
- Cleaning Standards: Above all, your Airbnb should be impeccably clean and well-maintained. No amenity can compensate for a dirty or poorly managed property.
- Safety Features: Essential safety features like fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and emergency contact information should be readily available.
- Communication: Prompt and clear communication with guests is crucial. Responding to inquiries and issues in a timely manner can greatly improve the guest experience.
- Quality Bedding: Comfortable mattresses, high-quality bedding, and a selection of pillows ensure that guests get a quality night’s sleep.
- Local Information: Provide information about the local area, including recommendations for dining, activities, and transportation options. Creating a guidebook is a great way to achieve this!
- Flexibility: Flexibility with check-in and check-out times, as well as accommodating reasonable guest requests, can earn you excellent reviews.
Other Types of Amenities for Your Airbnb
Beyond the basic and popular amenities, you can further enhance your Airbnb listing with unique and high-end amenities. These amenities can help your property stand out and attract discerning guests.
Let’s take a look at the top basic, unique, and high-end amenities to consider adding to your Airbnb:
Top Airbnb Basic Amenities
- Games and Entertainment: Board games, video game consoles, or a selection of movies can keep guests entertained. Store these items in a central entertainment center that is easy to find.
- Outdoor Space: A private balcony, patio, or yard can provide an appealing outdoor area for relaxation and entertainment. Make sure to set clear rules regarding what is not allowed in any outdoor spaces (i.e. smoking, parties, etc.).
- Books and Magazines: A small library of books and magazines can be a thoughtful touch for leisurely reading. You can even add a personal touch by offering local books and magazines that inform your guests of the history and attractions of the surrounding areas.
Top Unique Airbnb Amenities
- Outdoor Equipment: For adventurous guests, offer outdoor sporting equipment like kayaks, paddleboards, or bicycles. Offering bicycles for guest use can be a unique selling point in areas with bike-friendly roadways. Always provide clear rules and local laws for your guests when offering any type of outdoor equipment (such as helmet or boating laws).
- Hammocks: Outdoor hammocks or indoor hammock chairs provide unique lounging opportunities that add to your guests’ experience. This is also a great way to create a more unique outdoor space that attracts guests to your listing.
- Art and Decor: Showcase local art, unique decor, or themed rooms to create a one-of-a-kind atmosphere. Guests love this kind of themed experience — and it can provide you with extra tags and keywords to add to your Airbnb listing!
- Gardens & Chicken Coops: Many guests are interested in home gardening and agriculture. Gardens and chicken coops can be an excellent way to give your guests a taste of the homesteading lifestyle. Just be sure to provide clear instructions on caring for the garden and chickens, especially regarding animal handling and safety.
Top High-End Airbnb Amenities
- Hot Tub, Pools, & Saunas: A hot tub, pool, and/or sauna can be a luxury amenity that sets your property apart. With any of these amenities, it is crucial to maintain the water with the proper chemical treatments regularly. If you are unsure of how to care for pools and spas, reach out to your local pool and spa professionals for assistance.
- Private Chef Services: For those seeking a gourmet experience, you can offer private chef services for a special occasion. When offering any kind of food service, make sure the chefs you hire have the proper qualifications and that you are aware of any dietary restrictions or allergies your guests may have.
- Concierge & Valet Services: Arrange for personalized concierge and valet services to cater to guests’ needs and desires. These types of services can be especially great for guests traveling far distances who do not want to rent a car.
- Wine Cellar: A well-stocked wine cellar can be a true indulgence for wine enthusiasts. Stock your wine cellar with many different varietals, including both red and white options. Make sure to encourage responsible drinking whenever you provide guests with alcohol.
- Home Theater: A high-quality home theater system with a large screen can provide a top-tier entertainment experience for your guests. Go the extra mile by providing a wide assortment of movies and films for your guests.
Stocking your Airbnb with all the best amenities is a surefire way to win the hearts of your guests and earn positive reviews that will propel your Airbnb venture to success. Get started with the top 16 amenities discussed here, as well as the range of basic to high-end amenities detailed above.