As an Airbnb owner, you know there are lots of moving parts when it comes to the management of your rental property – and how well you maintain your Airbnb can massively impact your overall rating.
Cleanliness is extremely important for both achieving guest satisfaction and earning a high rating on Airbnb’s platform. To stay on top of your Airbnb cleaning duties, it is essential to have a thorough routine and checklist specifying all required tasks.
In this article, we will provide you with the highly detailed checklists you need to ensure your Airbnb is picture-perfect for when your guests arrive. Keep reading to discover our downloadable checklists that help keep you ahead of the cleaning curve!
Hiring an Airbnb Cleaning Service
For many Airbnb owners, other jobs and responsibilities may inhibit your ability to clean the property yourself after a guest’s departure.
As a result, many owners or property managers choose to hire a professional cleaning service. This can make the cleaning process far more efficient. Typically most owners will quickly realize that cleaning the property themselves is a tedious task as you could be cleaning their unit as many as 60 or 70 times per year.
Here is a quick breakdown of the pros and cons of hiring professional cleaners for your Airbnb:
- Convenience: Hiring a professional cleaning company offers you much greater convenience compared to having to travel to the property and complete the tasks yourself. This is especially necessary in instances when an Airbnb owner does not live close to their property. Many of investors own properties in Canmore or other mountain towns which they may not necessarily live in.
- Thoroughness: If you do not have a background in house cleaning, there may be certain aspects and details missed when you complete the cleaning yourself. With a reputable professional cleaning company, you can rest assured your property is cleaned thoroughly.
- More Free Time: When your Airbnb cleaning duties are taken care of by a team of professionals, you are left with more valuable free time to focus on other responsibilities.
- Cost: Depending on the budgetary restrictions for the management of your Airbnb, hiring a professional cleaning company can be costly. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to hire an independent or solo cleaner, rather than working with a company.
- Lack of Control: When you opt for completing the cleaning yourself, you have total control over how things are done and the overall thoroughness of the job. When hiring professional cleaning companies, it can sometimes be difficult to find the right one to suit your needs.
- Scheduling: Working with a third-party cleaning service provider requires you to do more scheduling and planning – especially when you have Airbnb bookings that are extremely close together in date and timing
Airbnb Laundry Service
After your Airbnb guests have checked out, you will likely have several loads of laundry to complete. Between each stay, you should always wash all bedding and towels.
If you have a washer and dryer with your Airbnb, this can be a convenient option for washing that helps avoid costly laundry service fees. However, if you do not have a usable washer and dryer onsite, you can either visit a laundromat or employ a professional laundry service.
Like with cleaning services, laundry services offer a high level of convenience at the cost of increasing your overhead expenses. If this is a service you can easily fit into your budget, it can reduce the time needed for cleaning significantly.
Always research laundry services before hiring any individual or company – and look for the most reputable and highly-rated options!
Airbnb Cleaning Supplies Checklist
The first and most important step to cleaning your Airbnb property is to have the correct supplies at the ready. Here is a comprehensive list of the cleaning supplies you should bring along for your Airbnb cleaning duties:
- Broom and Dustpan
- Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (Cloths are more environmentally friendly and less wasteful than paper towels)
- Dish Soap and Dishwasher Pods
- Surface Cleaners (Wood Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, All-Purpose Cleaner)
- Bleach and/or Bleach Sprays
- Toilet Brush
- Trash Bags
- Foaming Shower Cleaner
- Laundry Detergent, Dryer Sheets, and Softener
The Ultimate Airbnb Cleaning Checklist for Every Turnover
Each time you book out your Airbnb, a thorough turnover cleaning should be completed. This is important not only for overall health and hygiene but also for maintaining a welcoming space and providing a pleasant experience for each of your guests.
Below we have outlined all the tasks you should incorporate into your Airbnb turnover cleaning routine:
Essential Cleaning Checklist
- Trash: Empty all trash cans inside and outside of the Airbnb. Take filled trash bags to your nearest dumpster or waste station.
- Wipe and Dust Surfaces: Use a cloth or duster to wipe down all flat surfaces including countertops, shelves, nightstands, and tables.
- Dust Fan Blades: If your Airbnb has fans, stand on a step-stool and dust the tops of the fan blades. Do this before cleaning the floors, as debris will likely float to the ground.
- Wash and Vacuum Floors: Clean all floors with the appropriate supplies (i.e. wood cleaner for wood floors or vacuuming for carpets).
- Check for Damage: Perform a detailed inspection searching for any potential damage left by guests. This may include things such as broken faucets, torn furniture fabric, severe scratching on floors or walls. Alert Airbnb to any damage that qualifies for extra charges to the guest.
- Check and Replace Lightbulbs: Test all lights in the property and replace any flickering or burnt-out lightbulbs.
- Inspect for Left-Behind Items: Check under furniture and in closets, dressers, and appliances for any left-behind items. Dispose of or donate any found items.
- Make Note of Violations: If your Airbnb has specific rules such as no pets or no smoking, make sure to take note of any violations and alert Airbnb support staff of chargeable violations.
- Check Alarm Batteries: Always check that your security system, smoke, and CO2 alarms are functioning properly. If smoke or CO2 alarms need changing, make sure to do this before allowing new guests to check in.
- Clean Windows: Wipe the interior and exterior sides of all windows using glass cleaner.
- Complete Yard Work: If your Airbnb property has a yard, complete any mowing or landscaping maintenance needed.
- The Final Double-Check: Perform a double-check at the end of your cleaning job. If you have opted for hiring a cleaning service, either perform a double-check in person or request photographs of each room to confirm cleaning is completed to your standards.
Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
- Clean All Dirty Dishes (As you clean the dishes, check for any damage or cracks. Damaged dishware should be removed from the property.)
- Restock Soaps, Detergents, and Towels
- Dry and Put Away Dishes
- Sanitize Sink
- Wipe Down Fridge Inside and Out
- Throw Out All Left Behind Food Items
- Removed Open Packaging (If you offer free packaged items, like Keurig cups or snacks, place these inside reusable baskets and dispose of boxes and packaging.)
- Clean Oven (Always use an official oven cleaning spray to avoid damage to your appliance.)
- Clean Additional Appliances (Toaster, Microwave, Coffee Maker, etc.)
- Check for Clogs and Run Sink Disposal (If you do not have a sink disposal system, applying a drain cleaner between each stay will help keep your drains clear and functioning properly.)
- Wash Kitchen Towels, Oven Mitts, and Kitchen Rugs
Bathroom Cleaning Checklist
- Scrub, Sanitize, and Wipe Toilet
- Wipe and Sanitize Sink
- Clean Mirrors
- Apply Cleaner to Shower (Most foaming shower cleaners will need time to sit and activate, so spray down your shower with the cleaner and move on to other tasks while it works its magic.)
- Wash and Fold Towels
- Wash Bath Rugs
- Replace Toiletries (If you provide toiletries for guests, make sure you have restocked enough mini soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and face washes. If your guest has booked a long stay, leave replacements in your cabinets or utility room, with instructions on where to find them.)
- Check for Clogs and Use Drain Cleaner
- Use Smell-Goods (Air fresheners and scented sprays can help to reduce any lingering odors within your Airbnb’s restrooms.)
- Replace Shower Liners (Replacing shower liners will help keep your Airbnb showers in top shape, though they may not need replacing after every single visit.)
Bedroom Cleaning Checklist
- Strip Beds
- Wash Bedding
- Replace/Fluff Pillows (Pillows can become pretty nasty quickly due to wet hair, sweat, and hair and skin oils. Always wash your pillowcases and spot check for pillows in need of replacement.)
- Spot Clean Pillows
- Check for Mattress Stains (The quicker you clean a stain the better. Check your mattresses for stains and apply bed-safe stain remover immediately.)
- Wipe All Furniture
- Wash Curtains (Like with the shower liners, this task may not be required after every single visit.)
- Make Beds
Living Room Cleaning Checklist
- Vacuum or Wipe Couches
- Put Aways Games, DVDs, etc.
- Straighten Up Furniture
- Polish Furniture
- Clean Rugs
- Replace Snacks
- Sanitize Remotes
- Wipe TVs
- Check Under Furniture
- Clean Fireplaces (When applicable – may require employing a professional fireplace maintenance service.)
Utility Rooms Cleaning Checklist
- Empty Lint Traps
- Wipe Down Appliances (Interior & Exterior)
- Clean Surfaces, Shelves, and Bins
- Replace and Restock Supplies
- Clean Vents
The Ultimate Airbnb Cleaning Checklist: Deep Cleaning Edition
- Pressure Wash Exterior & Deck: Pressure washing helps reduce the build-up of mildew and grime on the exterior of your property.
- Replace Air Filters: For non-pet-friendly properties, it is recommended to replace air filters every 6 to 12 months. For pet-friendly properties, replace air filters every 2 to 3 months.
- Wipe or Scrub Baseboards: Make sure the cleaner you use is compatible with the paint or material type of your baseboards and trim work.
- Wipe Walls: Make sure your wall cleaner is compatible with the paint or material covering the walls.
- Clean Grouting: Grouting is the filling between tile and stonework. It can collect dust and grime over time but is not necessary to clean after every stay.
- Bug Bomb: If you have a seasonal property, use bug bombs to clear out unwanted critters after the property has sat for a while.
- Shampoo or Steam Carpets: Unless a major mess occurs, full shampooing or steaming of carpets is only needed once every month or every other month.
- Deep Clean Stove: Clean the grates, hood fan, and stovetop thoroughly using oven-approved cleaners.
- Replace Bedding & Pillows: Bedding, pillowcases, and pillows should be replaced every few years, or as needed.
- Clean Gutters: Gutter cleanings are recommended to be carried out twice per year.
- Clean Under Appliances: Lots of food and debris can end up hidden and stuck under appliances like fridges and stoves. It is a good idea to move these items and clean under them every few months.
- Repair Appliances and Furniture: Your appliances and furniture will inevitably end up in need of repair eventually. Carrying out minor repairs every few months will help prevent costly repairs later down the line.
Download the Airbnb Cleaning Essentials Checklist
Want to use this checklist in your own airbnb cleaning routine? Download this free version of the checklist today: Download Airbnb Cleaning Essentials Checklist